Dennis & Aimee's Big Gay Paris Adventure




I've been meaning to post this...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This is a picture taken by Laurel with my Clié in Toronto when we had dinner there at a restaurant a few months ago. I don't know why I find it so incredibly comical, but I do.



Who is this strange genie serving champagne to Napoleon?

The text says: "From his faithful mameluck Roustan, the grand emperor always requested his preferred champagne, Jacquesson & Fils"

A mameluck, according to Wikipedia:
Mamluks (also Mameluks, Mamelukes) (the Arabic word usually translates as "owned", singular: مملوك plural: مماليك) comprised slave soldiers used by the Muslim caliphs and the Ottoman Empire. On more than one occasion they seized power for themselves.

And further down on that page:
Napoleon formed his own Mamluk corps in the early years of the 19th century, the last known Mamluk force. Even his Imperial Guard had Mamluk soldiers during the Belgian campaign, including one of his personal servants. After the Battle of Austerlitz (2 December 1805), they gained their own regimental standard. Napoleon's famous bodyguard Roustan was also a Mamluk from Egypt.

...

During their service in Napoleon’s army, the Mamluk squadron wore the following uniform:

Before 1804: The only "uniform" part was the green cahouk (hat), white turban, and red saroual (pants), all to be worn with a loose shirt and a vest. Boots were of yellow, red or tan soft leather. Weapons, an "Oriental" scimitar, a brace of pistols in a holder decorated with a, brass, crescent and a star, and a dagger.

Well, now I know. And now you do too. Weird, eh?

--Aimée



See our photos on Flickr!

About me

  • I'm off2paris
  • From Paris, France
  • off2paris at wonky point org
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3