So, in the past week, I've been to Dulles, LaGuardia, Newark and YYZ (Toronto). It started as a weekend trip to NY to get the last 2,000 miles I needed to maintain my Premier Executive status, and ended up being extended into a business trip.
Thanks to Pete and Urcella and PVG and Simon for the lovely time in NY. Even I wrecked my rental car seven minutes into New York City, less than an hour off the plane, it was a really fun trip.
I rearended a car on the freeway just before the Verazzano Narrows Bridge -- she was stopped in the left center lane, but traffic on the sides was moving at speed. There were no injuries, but the airbags deployed in the rental, and both cars were towed. I learned several valuable things I'd like to share:
- NYPD officers are the nicest police I've ever met. There were four of them on the scene at one time or another, and each one was polite, friendly, and without a trace of condescention. I was, and am, impressed. Same with the tow-truck driver, who blocked traffic for us so we could drive off the road.
- The lady whose car I hit had one thing to say: "Look what you did to my car! Why did you hit me? Look what you did!" and she said this several times, until I said "Look, I said I'm sorry, I didn't do it on purpose, and if I could take it back, I would. Ok? So let's move on." (She had a Nissan Maxima.)
- Car rental agencies in the US are required to insure you for liability coverage to the minimums required by the state in which you are renting. So, unless that coverage isn't enough for you, you don't really need to buy their super-expensive supplemental insurance.
- But... that only covers THEIR car. If you want YOUR car covered, check your gold or platinum Visa card. Mine has automatic collision coverage if you rent the car with your Visa. I did, of course. This coverage only takes effect if you *decline* supplemental coverage with the rental company.
- If you don't have any car insurance (we don't) this is pretty smooth. I did have to get a notarized form stating that I don't have any other coverage, but that's not so hard. I'm not finished with the mountain of paperwork, and I'll keep you posted, but I have a feeling that it's all covered, all around.
- I should pay better attention and not chat with my pal when I'm driving, especially since I'm out of practice.
- My pal Peter no longer feels the need to trek out to the airport to pick people up. I think having a car accident may have cured him of that particular compulsion.
In other news, our refinance is complete, and set up on ePay. New 15-year fixed loan on the SF house. How I miss SF!
It snowed in Toronto when I was there, and it was SO cold! JH met me for two days, and we cranked out some good work. Here's what it looked like at dawn from my hotel room:
.jpg)
I was supposed to stay until today, but James and I have a deadline on Thursday, so I flew home early so as not to waste 10 hours or more of transit time in the middle of the deadline period. It was great to get home at 6am on Saturday morning. I got to the house around 7:30, and climbed right into bed with Dennis. Take THAT, cold Toronto!
I flew home on Zoom airlines. No, I've never heard of it either, but they sure do have cheap one-way flights from Toronto to Paris. I paid extra for the "premium" seats, which are equivalent to Economy Plus seats on United. Same food as everyone else, same everything, just a tiny bit more space, and a bit more recline room. Lucky for me, I found a row of three seats that was empty, and slept for at least 4 hours on the way home. So great to wake up when the plane is descending.
I bought xmas lights and ornaments today. Soon we will get a little tree. I can't wait!
Lastly, my friends PVG and
Maciej are translating a classic Russian novel called The Golden Calf into English. It's very interesting to me. If you'd like to check it out, it's here:
http://idlewords.com/telenok/Maciej paints beautifully, and I'm keeping an eye on his work, hoping to snatch something up. He's also an all-around great guy, and was very kind to me in NY.
In seven days, we head to Germany to see Dennis' family there. This time we're headed to Stuttgart to see Frank and Mitra -- about a 5.5 hour drive. (I know I've spelled her name wrong, but I don't remember the correct spelling). We're renting a car in Paris and driving. I have a great atlas of France, and I'm hoping to find a decent driving map of Germany. We have one in SF, but that's not helping me much now. The first night we're staying at a new hotel in Frankfurt, and going to the Christmas Market. Here's a bit about it:
Frankfurt's Christmas market is one of the really big and really old Christmas markets in Germany. Every year it attracts about 3 million visitors and it can look back on a centuries-old history. The origins of Frankfurt's Christmas market are likely to go back to the 14th century. The market on the Römerberg is beautiful and impressive. It is one of Germany's most important Christmas markets as well as one of the most lavishly decorated markets. In the past Frankfurt's Christmas market was called "Christkindchesmarkt" (meaning "Christ Child Market" but pronounced with the local accent). Up to the end of the 19th century the parents of Frankfurt would buy the toys for their children exclusively at the Christmas market.
And here's a picture!

We get back on the 30th, which is the same day my friend Mike McNeal comes from Los Angeles with his wife Monika. They're stopping by as part of their trip to Poland, where Monika is from. I'm eager to see them -- I like Mike a lot, and hope we get to work together again sometime. (He works for Toyota, and we worked together when I was at DHAP.)
Ok, I've bored you enough with the details of my last few weeks. Anyway, it's good to be home. Home is where the husband is!
--Aimée