The Louvre at dawn
Published Monday, December 27, 2004 by off2paris | E-mail this post 
This morning I walked most of the way to work, because it's just so pretty at dawn, and because I really need the exercise, especially after that series of Christmas meals! I took some pictures of the Louvre. I have to say that it's still surreal, pretty much every day, when I pop out of the Metro and I'm staring at the Arc de Triomphe, or when I can walk to work through the courtyard of the Louvre. I've even found a little secret door that takes you into the inner courtyard, then pops you out at at the main courtyard on a raised stair. The first picture is from that position. The second picture is 180 degrees. It's really hard to get used to, being surrounded by these things.
But I'm trying. I swear.
French school is going well -- I feel like I'm making progress. Today the Guardienne of our apartment asked again about the heat, and I was able to respond with something other than a dumb look. I said "tres chaud!" while waving my hand in front of my face. It means "very hot!" She said "D'accord." Which means "I understand." So, that was a real victory. (Though this evening, the apartment is no cooler.) Also, at lunch in the cafeteria, after I ordered my Steak Hache, the lady said "Avec?" and I paused only a moment before I said "Frites, si'l vous plait!" And frites is what I got.
--Aimee