Dennis & Aimee's Big Gay Paris Adventure




Sneak Peek, plus, what to do with that extra train station you have been hanging onto.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Part 1, In which our heroine gets a view into the secret building:

Today I went for a walk. I had no idea where I'd end up -- I just wanted to get some exercise, but I got a little treat while I was out. I walked past the *back* door of the Grand Palais. (Yes, I know, I talk about that building a lot, but I like it.) Anyway, they're working on it, renovating it, and they have been doing so since I've lived here. I don't think they're planning to finish until 2007. From the outside, the building has a giant glass roof that looks like it's as big as a football field, but I've never been able to see so much as a sliver from the inside, until now!

There's a huge metal barrier around the back side of the building, but as I walked by, I noticed a big door slid open, and I could see little peeks inside. I had to work around the guard who was keeping curious onlookers like myself out of the building. Anyway, here's YOUR sneak preview.

The support beams look so delicate:


These people give you an idea of how BIG it is:


So, we'll see. If i'm still here when it re-opens, I'll be standing in line to get in. Such a neat building.

Part 2, in which we learn what to do with your extra train station:

The Musee d'Orsay is one of the most well-loved museums in Paris, but it used to be a train station. Even if there wasn't a single piece of art inside of the building, it'd be well worth the price of admission (which is only 5.50 Euros on Sunday) just to see the loving restoration. This is the inside:



That's just the center. There are galleries along either side full of fantastic pieces of furniture, recreated rooms, and artworks by Monet, Degas, and Toulouse-Lautrec. I saw a painting by the latter that I've never seen before, and fell in love with:



I like it so much because the man's eyes are just a little bit open, like, he's looking at his wife while she's sleeping. It looks soft and warm and like they're in love. That's nice, isn't it?

While I was in the musem, I had a "degustation de fromage" in this awesome tearoom:



And I took a picture of the Louvre, just across the Seine, from the 6th floor cafe:


Not a bad day for a Sunday, huh? All that and a few mile walk to boot.

Dennis' mother shows up on Saturday, and our friend Greg comes just after she leaves, so it'll be a busy rest of the month. G'nite for now.

--Aimée



See our photos on Flickr!

About me

  • I'm off2paris
  • From Paris, France
  • off2paris at wonky point org
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3