More about Trees
Published Friday, June 10, 2005 by off2paris | E-mail this post 
From Wikipedia: In common parlance the term "acacia" is occasionally misapplied to species of the genus Robinia, which also belongs in the pea family, although placed in a different subgenus. Robinia pseudoacacia, an American species normally known as Black locust, is sometimes called "false acacia" in cultivation in Britain.
It is my firm belief that the trees planted along "Avenue of the Acacias" are in fact some species of Locust trees. Right now I'm going with Black Locust, the Purple Robe variety. It looks like this:

Another piece of data: The genus Robinia (in which all Locust trees reside) is named after the French gardener Jean Robin, who introduced the plant in Europe in 1601.
The Sweet Gum Tree (you know the tree with those hard, spiky brown balls, and almost maple-shaped leaves) is also around. I saw them in the Tuileries yesterday as I walked to class.

--Aimee
p.s. If you know where I can find one of those "decision trees" that help one determine what kind of tree you have, please let me know. You know, it asks you about the leaves, the bark, the size, etc., and then gives you the choices that are possible within that range.