Today I took a long walk, because it's cool and cloudy. I walked to the Eiffel Tower, which was more crowded than I remember ever seeing it (lines as long as football fields at each entrance). I kept going toward Invalides, which is where Napoleon's tomb is, but I didn't go in, I kept walking until I was in St. Germain, and a little lost.
I stopped at a bus-stop to look at the map, and I was halfway across the middle of Paris. Still I kept going, finding myself on Rue de Sevrés, which is where Au Bon Marché is. I stopped in the epicerie (grocery store) and bought molasses, since that's the only place I know of where I can get it. I also picked up some spendy balsamic viniagrette to go with the tasty summer tomatoes I've been eating. (I'll probably walk to the farmer's market at Neuilly tomorrow to get more!)
Still I continued, crossing the Seine at Châtelet. I finally called it quits at Hôtel de Ville, 5.5 miles from home. Those familiar with Paris will know that BHV (which stands for Bazaar de Hôtel de Ville) is right there. They have 8 floors of *everything* and we needed some of everything. So I bought two pictures for the house, since we've been trying to find things to hang on all of the exposed nail holes. Here's what they look like:
This one for the kitchen:

And this one for the living room:

I also bought 6 wine glasses and 6 champagne glasses, since we seem to be so good at breaking them. I lugged all of my (heavy) purchases home on the metro, which can be reached directly from the basement of BHV. Now we are enjoying the fruits of my shopping. I'm *almost* cold sitting here in the living room!
Also, I made meatballs and sauce for dinner, and we had *spectacular* meatball subs (on baguettes, of course). Our local bakery is closed for August, so I had to go to the *brand new* Le Nôtre store that replaced our local Fauchon. I didn't much like the Fauchon anyhow, so I'm psyched. The food there is very pricy, but it's like having a gourmet fancy bakery and deli around the corner. Open early and late, 7 days a week, you pay dearly for their food, but it's well worth it -- especially when you NEED a baguette!
--Aimee
p.s. Here's the other art we purchased recently. It's Frenchie and funny.