Oui. Très malade
Published Sunday, December 19, 2004 by off2paris | E-mail this post 
Yes, this French cold is kicking my butt. It
is helping the vocabulary!
decongestant - substance qui décongestionne
sick - malad
flu - grippe
cough - toux
sneeze - éternuement
pill - pilue
tablet - tablette, comprimé
fever - fièvre
I definitely want to get out of this apartment, but it's about 2°C and scattered showers. I'd also like to go out tonight with a friend of Aimee's and some of his French friends but it seems like a really bad idea, considering I would really like to get over this illness. The plan was to meet for drinks and then "dîner raclette". When translated this means "Squeegee dinner" which we found funny and, of course, still had no idea what that meant. In modern times this seems to be a dinner of cheese melted on stuff, but the term came from putting a block of cheese by the stove and scraping it off as the edge became
melted.
Last night we watched some French TV to help enhance our language skills and we have been able to understand a bit more, which is nice. Listening to French spoken at any reasonable pace still seems to be one of the hardest things, even though it does sound very nice. Also, we saw boobs on public TV, and some very racy sex scenes - a novelty I had to mention. Another funny thing about French TV: 50% of all commercials are for cheese! We found this to be funny. The remaining commercials were mostly for foie gras and perfume. About 5% were "other" (cars, cell phone carriers, black & decker, etc) and Aimee found it weird that there were NONE (at least in the 2 or 3 commercial periods we saw) for cleaning products, beer and the like we are all used to. As many of you probably know, the commercial layout is different... rather than commercials every 5-10 minutes, they seem to only come every 30 or 60 minutes and last longer. I think I like the format better, because you know when they are coming and interrupt the programs much less.
Aimee brought home a rotisserie rabbit from the market! I felt bad for the little guy especially because they really like to leave the heads on animals here, eyeballs and all. Chickens and ducks (and bunnies oh my!) pretty much always have the heads still on and are roasted that way. Now that I've grossed you out, I must say it was very tasty. The skin was a beautiful, crunchy brown and the meat was about halfway between the light and dark meat of chicken. Joking aside, it tasted fairly close to chicken. We have the leftovers and the bones in a stockpot and I will be making rabbit noodle soup in a bit. I'm not so sure if this will be on our regular menu, but we had to try it.
Cheers,
-Dennis