Dennis & Aimee's Big Gay Paris Adventure




Fois gras is my favorite food


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I love it more than cheese. This cute little restaurant that I've been to twice serves two big slabs of it with little toasts and a tiny glass of sauternes for only 12€. It's fantastic. It melts in your mouth almost like milk chocolate. It's rich and savory and creamy as ripe avocado. It's almost like a meat avocado, in fact. Oh man it's good.

I made a faus pas the first time I was at that restaurant, which is on rue Amelot. Next time I go I'll take down the name. I was tired and hungry, and it was late. If I'd been in any American city, I'd have sat at the bar to have dinner, because it's less lonely and pathetic looking than sitting at a table by myself. So I took a seat at the bar and ordered a glass (un verre) of Beaujalais Nouveau, which is a very young wine that is released every November. It's a big deal, and there are signs announcing it in nearly every restaurant and liquor store. It's light and crisp and fruity.

Anyway, I asked for the menu (le carte), and when it became clear to the bartender that I wanted to order food, he gestured to the dining room, expecting me to move there. I gestured to my spot, and said "May I eat here?" (He doesn't really speak English, but it's pretty clear what we're both saying.) He had a furrowed brow, so I said "Is it OK?" and he said something like "Sure, whatever you like!" (Probably followed internally by "freak".) A few minutes later, I noticed the waitress not quite suppressing a giggle when she looked at me. Apparently eating at the bar is "not done." In fact, I caught the waitress just before I left, because I noticed that she spoke English, and I said "Does anyone ever do this here?" She said "Not really, no. Maybe once or twice." So, lesson learned.

A few days later I looked at an apartment down the street, and I said "Hey, I ate at a restaurant on that corner!" The agent said "Did you have the fois gras? Because they're known for it!"

So, of course, I had to go back. I waved to the bartender when I stepped in, and he immediately recognized me. Everyone in Paris has been SO nice, even though I butcher their language daily. This time I opted for a table, and enjoyed every bite of succulent, velvety fois gras that's house-made. Oh was that a lovely night. I crave that dish every time I think of it now.

I can't wait to take Dennis. That will surely happen in our first week there.

--Aimee



See our photos on Flickr!

About me

  • I'm off2paris
  • From Paris, France
  • off2paris at wonky point org
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3